Thursday, December 15, 2011

Fine Arts Friday: Winter in Pennsylvania

For Curious Acorn...


Near New Hope

Here are paintings by Fern Isabel Coppedge, a painter of southeastern Pennsylvania, who lived from 1883 to 1951. According to her online biography, snow scenes were her favorite subject. "The residents of Bucks County often saw Fern I. Coppedge traipsing through the snow, draped in her bearskin coat with her sketching materials slung over her shoulder, seeking the perfect scene to paint." To me, she captures the stillness of winter snow and the quiet veil of eternity it gives us a glimmer of.

Here are more of her winter scene paintings.


Hillside Village


The Hill Road


Mountain Creek




Bucks County Scene

I hope to report more about Mrs. Coppedge in the new year.

2 comments:

Jodi said...

Thank you, Friend.

Ann said...

I absolutely love these paintings and wonder where in the world they can be seen - mostly in the US I guess?
I am in London but have friends in Pennsylvania. Thank you for showing them and look forward to hearing more about Mrs Coppedge in 2012. This was my first vist to your blog today so thank you.